6 Ways Californians Can Save on Car Insurance
No other state in the Union has a car culture like California and because of this, Californians have a special relationship with their cars. Golden State car owners are always on the lookout for cheap California car insurance quotes and for ways to save money on car insurance. Here’s a rundown on easy ways Californians can save.
- The “Good Driver” law. The state mandates a 20 percent discount for drivers who have a clean driving record. Specifically, over a three-year period drivers must be licensed, cannot have more than one point on their driving record, and cannot be found at fault for a fatal car accident or an accident resulting in at least $1,000 of property damage.
- Get married. Married people have been shown to have fewer insurance claims and as a result, are often offered a discount on insurance.
- Defensive driving discount. Not only will having an anti-theft system on your car lower your rates, but so will things like passive restraints, anti-lock brakes, and electronic stability control (ESC).
- Multi-car discount. In California, it’s rare for a family or even a couple to only have one car. Luckily, multi-car discounts make it a little less expensive to ensure all the cars are covered.
- Multi-policy discount. Often if you have a homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy with the same company that provides your auto insurance coverage, that company will offer a discount on your insurance premium.
- Mature driver discount. If you are 55 years or older and have successfully completed a mature driver’s course, you quality for the state’s mature driver discount.
Interestingly, California is one of the few states that does not take credit history into account when figuring auto insurance rates. So if your credit is less than stellar it doesn’t matter. It’s your driving history that will make or break your insurance costs.